LEO Club's Objective and Motto
In October 1967, the board of directors of Lions Clubs International adopted the LEO Club Program as an official program of the association. Open to males and females, the objective of the LEO Club Program was (and still is):
"...to provide the youth of the world (with) an opportunity for development and contribution, individually and collectively, as responsible members of the local, national and international community."
The LEO club motto is:
- Leadership - LEOs develop skills as organizers, time managers and motivators of their peers.
- Experience - LEOs learn the importance of cooperation through community service.
- Opportunity - Membership provides young people with a chance to excel, to develop positive character traits, and to receive recognition for their contributions to the community.
Today, the LEO Club Program is stronger than ever. Community service remains the cornerstone of the program. Like their Lion counterparts, LEO club members enjoy serving their neighbors and watching positive results unfold.
Main activities of a LEO Club
LEO Clubs share to a great extent, similar activities, which can be categorized into the following:
- Fundraising: LEO Clubs plan, organize and execute fundraising activities in order to raise money for a perceived project/s.
- Community Care: LEO Clubs dedicate a significant time and effort to serving a segment of the underprivileged in their community.
- Main Club Project: Each LEO Club annually plans, organizes and executes a main project directed at a specific cause and/or developmental need.
- International Liaisons: LEO Club members connect with LEOs around the world, throughout global conferences, forums, workshops and events, during which, LEOs share their experiences and establish acquaintances and friendships in different countries of the world.