District Storage of Records and Site Visits
District Records will be sent to HCDE for storage/shredding (disposition) only one time a year in June before Records Liaisons leave for summer break. In the meantime, each campus/district department must ensure a suitable location to store boxes until the June disposition. Site visits for each campus and department will be conducted twice a year to ensure that district storage sites meet minimum compliance as required by the State. Please review the below requirements:
Storage Room Condition
- Room is clean and free of trash
- Storage area is adequate for amount of records being stored
- Room is not used to house anything other than records
- Storage room is accessible only by those with appropriate authorization.
- Storage room is secured.
Storage Room Safety
- Free standing shelves are secure and stable
- Heavy items are stored at a suitable height
- Records are stored on shelves with very little, if any, overhang to avoid boxes falling
- Storage room is adequately lit
- Fire detection system is present
- HCDE Records Boxes are used to store records
- Records that are to be shred may be stored in any box with a lid and appropriately labeled
- Boxes are not stacked directly on the floor
- There are no signs of damage to storage boxes such as water or rodent damage
- Records are not exposed to direct sunlight, excessive heat, moisture, steam or theft
- Ensure that Records boxes have the appropriate information filled out on the side of the box.
- Shred boxes must be appropriately labeled. Be sure to email a copy of the form to the district records management office at email@example.com
- Organize the storage room so that storage boxes are in a separate area from shred boxes and the labels/box information are visible.
- Repair or replace unsafe shelving.
After each site visit, a report will be emailed to the location department head/principal (Custodians of Record) and each Records Liaison.